After WhatsApp rolled out the new privacy changes, things have taken a wild turn around the world. People are migrating to Signal and Telegram to have better privacy safeguards. While the transition is all for the right reasons — as we have noted in our comparison between WhatsApp vs Telegram vs Signal — it’s important to make some changes from our end as well. Two-factor verification is one of those security safeguards that you must enable to protect your account. We have already written a guide on how to turn on 2FA on Signal, and here we are going to show how to enable two-step verification on Telegram. So on that note, let’s begin.
Enable Two-Step Verification on Telegram (2021)
2. Next, open “Privacy and Security” and tap on “Two-Step Verification”.
3. Now, tap on “Set Password” and create a password for two-step verification on Telegram. On the next page, you need to re-enter the password again. Make sure to remember this password or better, write it down and store it in a safe place.
4. After that, you can give a hint in case you forget the password or you can skip this section straight away.
6. Now, open your email client and enter the verification code. This is done to validate your recovery email address.
7. Finally, you have turned on two-step verification on Telegram. Now onwards, if you log in to your Telegram account on any new device, it will ask for your two-step verification password along with the one-time code (SMS) that you have received on your smartphone.
Turn On 2FA on Telegram and Protect Your Chats
So that is how you can turn on 2FA on Telegram and add an additional layer of security to your personal messages and chats. As per a study done by Princeton University, sim swapping has become a real threat around the world where impostors request the carriers to swap the phone number and carriers dutifully change the number without due diligence. So to foil such attempts, enabling 2FA is a must.
Anyway, that is all from us. If you want to learn more such Telegram tips and tricks then go through our linked article. Also, read our article on moving from WhatsApp to Telegram to find the best way to make the switch. And if you have any questions then let us know in the comment section below. We will surely try to help you out.